Parapro Testing and Information
Due to the signing of Public Act 101-0220, taking the Paraprofessional Test did not qualify applicants for paraprofessional licensure in Illinois between August 9-December 4, 2019. As of December 5, 2019 remedial legislation was signed that made the test valid for licensure once again. All previously deficient paraprofessional license applications will be re-reviewed under the new legislation. You may review the new legislation here
When do you have to take the ETS Parapro test to become a Paraprofessional (teacher's aide)? When:
- You are at least 19 years old, AND
- Have a high school diploma or GED, AND
- Do not have an Associate degree and have completed less than 60 college credit hours.
- Have not taken or passed the Work Keys test.
**If you have 60 or more hours of college credit you do not need the test but must complete everything else to obtain your IL license. That includes bringing in a sealed, official transcript or having an electronic transcript emailed directly from the college to our office staff. Courses under 100-level will not count towards the 60 hours.
Registration and Cost:
- Online with credit card = approximately $80.00, payment is done through Eventbrite online.
- No spot will be reserved without payment at the time of registration.
- No refunds will be given. If you must cancel or if you are a no show, you will be allowed to reschedule one (1) time without having to repay.
Testing Schedule - Wednesdays
- The first and third Wednesday of each month are reserved for paraprofessional testing. Typically we offer two seats per test session (one morning session and one afternoon session).
- If the link shows there are no tickets (seats) available, you may go back and select another date.
- Click a link below to register and pay for the test.
- We can also set up testing by appointment... please call our office to check on availability 309-477-2290.
On your test date please bring the following items:
- your unexpired drivers license or official state identification,
- your high school diploma or transcript
- a credit or debit card to pay the $100.00 (+ convenience fee) for the paraprofessional license
- no scratch paper or pencils will be needed- we provide the approved materials for note-taking at the office
- Click for free Study Companion with sample questions
- Click to purchase more in-depth study guide and/or practice test
Reserve your Seat for Testing by Purchasing a Ticket (Click Date and Time):
We can also set up testing by appointment... please call our office to check on availability 309-477-2290.
- Applying for the license requires a credit or debit card, and will cost $100, as well as a credit card processing fee. The application and fee are processed through the Illinois State Board of Education ELIS website.
- Registering the license once it is issued will cost an additional $25 (plus credit card processing fee) through the same ISBE website.